Asbestos, Silica and Petrochemical Defense
The seemingly endless growth of toxic and mass tort litigation, including asbestos, silica, and petrochemical, has resulted in an increasing need for attorneys experienced in these complex fields. A thorough understanding of the massive body of sophisticated medical, scientific and epidemiological literature and concepts, an in-depth familiarity with the experts in all of these fields, and an organization capable of handling tens of thousands of ongoing matters are essential to successfully defend these cases.
McMahon DeGulis attorneys and staff have decades of experience handling toxic tort cases. Our attorneys have successfully defended numerous clients in jurisdictions around the United States; indeed it is our extensive and successful trial experience that separates McMahon DeGulis from other firms.
This recognized courtroom ability enables us to assist clients in developing a coordinated, comprehensive defense strategy, negotiate effectively, and, if necessary, try the case to verdict. We also participate in joint defense groups which allows for cost savings, and, when advisable, the ability to expand the pool of available experts.
- Defense verdict and favorable written opinion on issues of causation and substantial factor under Ohio and maritime law in 2004 see Bartel v. John Crane, Inc. 316 F.Supp.2d 603, 610 (N.D. Ohio, 2004); upheld by the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, Lindstrom v. A-C Product Liability Trust, et al. 424 F.3d 488 (6th Cir. 2005). This was a case involving a seaman alleging he contracted mesothelioma from asbestos containing products.
- Represent national manufacturer in over 40,000 pending asbestos cases in Cuyahoga County
- Defend a supplier of grinding wheels in over 800 silica cases pending in Ohio and West Virginia
- Defense verdict in a maritime case brought by a seaman alleging he contracted multiple myeloma resulting from benzene exposure aboard tankers
- National asbestos counsel for manufacturer of steam traps
- Represent over ten asbestos defendants throughout Ohio
For more information on Toxic Torts, please contact Steve Daniels.
Back to Practice Areas