Andrea’s practice focuses on counseling corporate and public sector clients on the environmental and regulatory implications of their business decisions. Her experience includes work in the areas of Clean Water Act permitting, regulation and Integrated Planning for publically-owned treatment works, municipal separate storm sewer systems, and industrial wastewater treatment plants; hazardous and solid waste regulation, permitting and recycling; drinking water issues and public water system regulation; and wind energy development.
Andrea also negotiates and resolves civil and administrative enforcement and regulatory matters on behalf of corporations and government entities with state and federal agencies. She has litigated matters in the areas of NPDES permitting, stormwater construction permits, permits to install, and public water systems compliance.
- Statutory & Regulatory Practice
- Local Government Practice
- Advanced & Renewable Energy
- Environmental Enforcement
- Integrated Planning
- Solid & Hazardous Wastes
- Water (surface water, drinking water, stormwater)
- Environmental Litigation
- Consent Decree Negotiation
AREAS OF EXPERTISE & FOCUS
Andrea’s practice focuses on counseling and defending private and public sector clients on environmental and regulatory issues.
In her more than ten years of practice, Andrea has provided significant service to the wastewater, stormwater and drinking water industries for both public and private clients. These have included industrial NPDES permittees, municipal separate storm sewer systems, municipal drinking water systems, and private entities regulated as public water systems.
Andrea’s practice has grown with a focus on legal counseling with the goal of informing clients about environmental obligations and, ultimately, preventing violations and enforcement proceedings. Her work has included:
- Representation of government entities in sanitary and storm sewer system disputes
- Consent decree negotiation and implementation
- Negotiation and appeals of National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permits
- Permits to Install
- Regulatory compliance and enforcement defense proceedings
- Stormwater construction permitting
- Drinking and groundwater issues, and public water system regulation
- Hazardous waste permitting, recycling exemptions and beneficial reuse
- Solid waste permitting, regulation of waste-to-energy technologies, and beneficial reuse regulation and rulemaking development
- Permitting and regulation for alternative energy projects
- Litigation defense for oil and gas development
- Food and beverage law
Prior to joining the firm, Andrea litigated significant civil environmental cases in courts throughout Ohio while serving as an Assistant Attorney General. She represented the State of Ohio in civil enforcement matters and defended actions of the Director of Ohio EPA before the Environmental Review Appeals Commission. Andrea’s practice continues to build on that strong foundation with the goal to counsel clients and avoid compliance issues.
In her role as a board member of the Ohio Stormwater Association and Chair of its Regulatory Committee, she coordinates stakeholders around the state for the purposes of providing education and advancing clean water goals. She is a frequent speaker at state and national conferences and training forums.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Beyond Diversity to Inclusion: Integrating, Valuing, Empowering,” Moderator, 33rd Annual OSBA Environment, Energy and Resources Law Seminar, April 13, 2018.
- “Taking Control of Regulatory Compliance Messaging in the Instant Communication Age,” with Dave Nash, One Water Government Affairs Workshop, March 8, 2018
- “Asset Management and Integrated Planning,” with Kevin Campanella of Burgess & Niple, Stormwater Solutions Conference, November 9, 2017
- “Water Law 101: Ohio Water Law,” Ohio Water Law and Community Opportunities for Innovative Water System Management presented by Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District and McMahon DeGulis LLP, March 22, 2016
- “Permanent Treatment & the Ohio Regulatory Framework,” Legionella Summit, Dayton, January 14, 2015
- “Clean Water Act Primer,” National Association of Clean Water Agencies Legal Affairs Seminar, St. Pete Beach, Florida, November 19, 2014
- “Trends in Stormwater Surrogacy,” Ohio Stormwater Conference, Akron, June 5, 2014
- Presentation to United States Department of Energy, Washington, D.C., April 8, 2014
- “Preparing for a Stormy Day: The Status of Sovereign Immunity in Ohio,” Ohio Stormwater Conference, Sharonville, May 9, 2013
- “Technical & Legal Issues Landowners Should Be Aware of Related to Water Resources and Oil and Gas Development,” Ohio State University Webinar, October 21, 2012
- “EPA’s Integrated Municipal Planning Guidance: Brownfields and Stormwater in Practice,” Ohio Brownfields Conference, Columbus, May 23, 2012
- “Technical and Legal Issues Regarding Oil and Gas Development,” Ohio Federation of Soil and Water Conservation Districts Annual Meeting, Columbus, February 27, 2012
- “Biomass Energy: How Renewable is Renewable Energy?” OSBA 26th Annual Environment, Energy and Resources Law Seminar, Newark, April 8, 2011
Andrea is also the author of What’s Trendy for Fall? Wrap Yourself In A Corporate Veil published in the Fall 2010 Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys’ Quarterly Review.
ACHIEVEMENTS & HONORS
- Recognized as one of Columbus’ “40 Under Forty” by Columbus Business First, 2013
- Nationally recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© for Environmental Law since 2013
- Named a “Rising Star” by SuperLawyers since 2014
- Named to the Ohio State Bar Association’s 2015 Leadership Academy
- Recipient of Capital University Law School’s “Award for Excellence in Advocacy,” 2006
- Elected to the Franklin Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors, 2011-2014 term
- Co-Chair of Ohio State Bar Association’s 29th Annual Environmental, Energy and Resources Law Seminar, 2014
- Board member of the Ohio Stormwater Association and Regulatory Committee Chair
- Delegate to the Ohio State Bar Association Council of Delegates representing District 7 (Franklin County)
Andrea holds a BA in Italian from The Ohio State University. She received her JD, cum laude, from Capital University Law School with an Environmental Law Concentration. At Capital, she was the recipient of the Award for Excellence in Oral Advocacy and competed on the Philip J. Fulton National Moot Court Team. She also completed internships/externships with the Ohio Supreme Court serving Justice Evelyn Lundberg Stratton; the Office of Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O’Brien, Civil and Criminal Divisions; the Ohio Attorney General’s Office, Charitable Law Section; and the Ohio Environmental Council. She was also a Research Assistant to Professor Dennis D. Hirsch.