Evan is a litigator with over 25 years of civil trial experience, primarily in the defense of clients. He has extensive experience with asbestos/toxic tort and products liability cases.
- Asbestos, Silica and Petrochemical Defense
- Product Liability/Commercial Litigation
Evan is admitted to practice in the State of Ohio, the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, the United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE & FOCUS
- Significant toxic tort defense experience, particularly in the area of asbestos
- Insurance Law
- Personal injury defense litigation
- Commercial litigation
- Successfully defended clients in federal and state court in products liability, premises liability, employer intentional tort, and automobile and truck accident cases
- Successfully argued on appeal that Ohio’s apportionment statute permits juries to consider the fault of all entities, including employers, provided it can be shown that the entities’ tortious conduct contributed to the plaintiff’s harm.
- Obtained favorable verdict in major products liability/construction defect trial
- Obtained favorable verdict for county defendant in a major highway defect auto accident trial
Bartel v. John Crane Inc., 316 F.Supp.2d 603 (N.D. Ohio, 2004), aff’d, Lindstrom v. A-C Product Liability Trust, 424 F.3d 488 (6th Cir. 2005)
Torba v. J.M. Smucker Co., 888 F.Supp. 851 (1995)
Barbeck v. Twinsburg Twp., 69 Ohio App.3d 837 (1990)
Sentinel Sec. Systems v. Medkeff, 36 Ohio App.3d 86 (1987)
- Akron Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association Foundation (Fellow)
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Speaker at Ohio Metropolitan Bar Association Consortium Continuing Legal Education Seminar on Ohio employer intentional tort law
- Presented annual seminars for major insurance company staff on current developments in Ohio law
Evan received a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Finance/Economics) from Miami University. He received his JD from University of Akron School of Law.