Greg has 30 years of experience prosecuting and defending environmental and toxic exposure claims.
Greg has significant experience in environmental cost recovery matters, environmental insurance litigation, construction litigation and natural resource damage cases. Clients include manufacturers, real estate developers, paper companies, contractors and municipalities. Greg leads the firm’s insurance recovery practice.
In 2005, Greg co-founded the Environmental Law Network (elnonline.com) which consists of 25 US law firms and 6 international affiliates.
- Statutory and Regulatory Practice
- Local Government Practice
- Contaminated Property and Brownfields Redevelopment
- Environmental Insurance
- Environmental Enforcement
- Insurance Recovery
Greg is licensed to practice in a number of jurisdictions, including the State of Ohio, the State of New York, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE & FOCUS
Greg is widely recognized as a practitioner and litigator in the Superfund arena. Greg and his team have successfully handled several multi-million Superfund matters working on behalf of national railroad, defense contractors and other large PRPs. Greg also has significant experience defending against Natural Resource Damages claims, negotiating the purchase and divesture of contaminated parcels, and navigating the Ohio VAP cost recovery process.
- Environmental Cost Recovery
- Environmental Insurance Recovery Litigation
- Acquisition/Divestiture of contaminated property
- Arbitrator for American Arbitration Association in environmental cases
- Currently defending three Natural Resource Damages matters in Ohio
- Represents property owner in VAP Cost Recovery case
- Defending contractor in wetlands litigation
- Represents municipality in wastewater treatment plant litigation
- Vice Chair for the ABA Superfund and Natural Resource Damages Litigation Committee, 2015-2016 (Regional Reporter)
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth, Cleveland Chapter 2016
- Shaker Lakes Nature Center, Board of Trustees 2009-2016
- Alumni Council, University School 2009-2013
- Chair of the Environmental Law Network, 2004-2016
- Served as chair of the Cleveland Bar Association Environmental Law Committee
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
“Cost Recovery Options for Brownfields,” Ohio Land Bank Conference, October 26, 2016
“Financing Your Brownfield Cost Recovery Efforts – a Legal Perspective,” Ohio Brownfields Conference, April 6, 2016
“How to Own a Brownfield: Maintaining Defenses and Funding Cleanup,” I -70/75 Development Association Economic Development Summit 2015, May 28, 2015
“How to Own a Brownfield: Creative Ways to Fund Cleanup and Avoid Liability,” Ohio Brownfields Conference, April 9, 2014
“GLLA and NRD: The Great Lakes Legacy Act and Natural Resource Damages,” Great Lakes Symposium, June 4, 2013
“Making Them Pay: How to Finance Your Brownfield Revitalization,” Environmental Law, Land Use, Energy and Litigation Seminar, January 2, 2013 in Snowmass, Colorado
Panel Moderator, “Lassoing Liability: How to Succeed at Brownfields Redevelopment,” American Bar Association SEER Fall Meeting, October 11, 2012 in Austin, Texas
“Making Them Pay: How To Finance Your Brownfield Revitalization,” Ohio Brownfields Conference, May 24, 2012.
“Environmental Redux,” Ohio Association of Metal Finishers, April 2011
“Cost Recovery: Lawyers As A Plus?” Ohio State Bar Association 26th Annual Environment, Energy and Resources Law Seminar; April 8, 2011
“Cost Recovery: Are Lawyers a Plus?” Ohio Brownfield Conference, January 2011
“Case Summary: Garrett Day LLC, et al. v. International Paper Co., et al.” Superfund and Natural Resource Damages Litigation Committee, American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, August 2016.
“Case Summary: The Peoples Gas Light and Coke Company v. Beazer East, Inc.,” co-author with Erin Frantz. Hot News and EPA Region Updates, American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, September 2015.
Greg is co-author, with Sarah Gable, of “Burlington Northern: CERCLA and Its Ever-Changing, Unpredictable Landscape” which was published in the Spring 2014 volume of the Natural Resources & Environment, a publication of the American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy and Resources.
(Volume 28, Number 4, Spring 2014).
ACHIEVEMENTS & HONORS
- 2014 Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation – Environmental in the Cleveland area.
- Nationally recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© for Environmental Litigation (since 2011) and Environmental Law (2008-2011)
- Named by Chambers USA as a leading practitioner in Environmental Law in Ohio since 2011
- Recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer© by Law & Politics magazine since 2012
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Rating
Greg received his BA in English from the University of Michigan and his JD from the Case Western Reserve University School of Law.