John counsels clients in various matters, including site cleanup activities under Ohio’s Voluntary Action Program (VAP), and permit appeals under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program.
- Statutory and Regulatory Practice
- Contaminated Property and Brownfields Redevelopment
- Environmental Enforcement
John is admitted to practice in the State of Ohio.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE & FOCUS
As an associate at Dave Bell Law, John counsels clients in various matters, including site cleanup activities under Ohio’s Voluntary Action Program (VAP), and permit appeals under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program.
- Counseled client on clean up of two contaminated properties under Ohio’s Voluntary Action Program
- Led team of attorneys for document production and compliance demonstration matters
- Provided legal support for team in settlement negotiations of petroleum refinery consent decrees
- Presented issues and drafted comments for client on EPA’s Petroleum Refinery Sector Risk and Technology Rule and New Source Performance
- Member, Legal Alumni Of Wooster Steering Committee
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- Young Lawyers Division
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “The Great Keystone Debate,” February 27, 2015
- “Local government’s authority to regulate fracking minimized, but not eliminated,” February 20, 2014
- “Ohio EPA Releases Guidance on Disposal of Fracking Wastes at Municipal Landfills,” November 19, 2014
- “Unavoidable Malfunctions to Get Penalties Under EPA’s New Proposal,” November 14, 2014
- “Environmental Law Update – EPA Proposes New Guidelines Governing Disposal of Dental Amalgam,” October 7, 2014
- “EPA Proposes New 2014 Effluent Guidelines Program Plans,” September 25, 2014
- “The Ever-Expanding Waters of the United States,” July 23, 2014
- “Supreme Court Update: Time Barring CERCLA Claims on Contaminated Sites,” June 17, 2014
John received his BA in Philosophy from the College of Wooster. He received his JD from Case Western Reserve University Law School. During law school, John also served as a certified legal intern in the Community Development Division of the Milton A. Kramer Law Clinic, where he represented business clients in corporate formation and organizational matters, in addition to negotiating settlements involving real estate transactions. John also served as President of the Environmental Law Society.