A former Executive Director of the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District (MWCD), John’s legal experience includes water law and the Ohio Conservancy Act. As he returns to private practice, John will focus his practice on matters related to water, conservation and recreation law and management.
John is admitted to practice in the State of Ohio, the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, the United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE & FOCUS
Retired after thirty-one years as Executive Director of the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District (MWCD), John returns to private practice to focus on water law and the Ohio Conservancy Act. John is ready to assist Ohio conservancy districts and other water, conservation and recreation professionals with legal and policy management issues.
Prior to his time as Executive Director of the MWCD, John was in the private practice of law in New Philadelphia, Ohio, for 10 years, serving as Chief Counsel to the MWCD.
- Currently an Ohio Commissioner on the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission having been appointed by Governor Kasich in 2015.
- Member of the American, Ohio State and Tuscarawas County Bar Associations
- Past member of the executive boards of the Water Management Association of Ohio, the Water Resources Foundation of Ohio, the Ohio Conservancy District Conference (Past President), and the Ohio Water Advisory Council.
ACHIEVEMENTS & HONORS
- Recipient of the Meritorious Public Service Medal from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Great Lakes and Ohio River Division, for outstanding dedication and service in 2020.
- Honored by the Ohio Parks and Recreation Association with the Jack Hanna Resource Conservation Award in 2014.
- Recipient of the Commander’s Award for Public Service from John D Rivenburgh, Colonel, Corps of Engineers Commanding, Huntington District, in 2002.
John received his BA, cum laude, from Muskingum University. He received his JD from Ohio Northern University College of Law.