A skilled trial lawyer, Sandra has over 30 years of experience defending employers in toxic tort claims, products liability, environmental issues, and workers’ compensation.
Sandra is admitted to practice in the State of Ohio, the Ohio Supreme Court, the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio and the United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE & FOCUS
With over 30 years of experience in the courtroom and before various administrative bodies, Sandra strategically leads her clients through complex discovery and trial preparations. She has significant experience in civil litigation, defending toxic torts, occupational disease matters, asbestos exposure claims, and environmental matters. Sandra has appeared in various courts throughout the country in asbestos litigation as national counsel for a Fortune 500 company. She has assisted in trials of mesothelioma cases. Sandra was a member of the trial team that obtained a defense verdict in a living pleural mesothelioma lawsuit. Sivert vs. Air & Liquid Systems., et al., No. CV888488 (Ohio Ct. Comm. Pls., Cuyahoga Cty)(2019).
Sandra was also trial counsel in a case involving CERCLA, EPCRA and RCRA claims related to power plant emissions and controls that resulted in a settlement agreement after several days of trial in federal court.
Sandra has significant experience in workers’ compensation, with an emphasis on litigation. She represents self-insured and state funded employers in workers’ compensation claims. This work has placed her before the Industrial Commission of Ohio and various trial and appellate courts. Sandra has also successfully litigated numerous commercial cases involving contract and wage disputes.
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- State ex rel. Verbanek v. Indus. Comm. (1995), 73 Ohio St. 3d 562
- State ex rel. LTV Steel Co. v. Indus. Comm. (1992), 65 Ohio St. 3d 22
- State ex rel. Crisp v. Indus. Comm. (1992), 64 Ohio St. 3d 507
- State ex rel. Jeffrey Mining Machinery Div., Dresser industries Inc. v. Indus. Comm. (1990), 56 Ohio St. 3d 91
- Fayette Fire & Safety Equip. Co. v. Hennosy (1989), 65 Ohio App.3d 10
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Sexual Harassment – A Supervisor’s Perspective,” Schwebel Baking Company, 1998
ACHIEVEMENTS & HONORS
- Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers list, 2017-2019
- Certified Civil Trial Advocate by The National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2007-2012
- Certified workers’ compensation specialist, 1998-2001
Sandra received a BA from Ohio University and a JD from Capital University School of Law.