Steve is a litigator with over 35 years of civil trial experience involving toxic torts, product liability and commercial litigation. He is recognized as one of the preeminent asbestos/toxic tort lawyers in the state of Ohio. Steve has extensive experience in numerous jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations.
Steve is admitted to practice in the State of Ohio, the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE & FOCUS
- Asbestos, Benzene and Toxic Tort Litigation
- Provides advice and counsel on Toxic Tort defense strategies
- Product Liability Litigation
- National trial experience for a wide variety of products including blood filters, lathes, grinding machines, turning machines, heat treating machines, compressors and roofing materials
- Commercial Litigation
- Extensive experience in trade secret and intellectual property cases
- Has tried and arbitrated many construction claims
- Numerous defense verdicts in asbestos trials including Sivert vs. Air & Liquid Systems., et al., No. CV888488 (Ohio Ct. Comm. Pls., Cuyahoga Cty.)(2019), Charles Rich, Deceased, v. A-C Product Liability Trust, et. al, 461 F.Supp.2d 600 (2006), Betty Werts Executrix of the Estate of Ronald Werts, Deceased v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, et al., upheld in Werts v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., 2009-Ohio-2581, Bartel v. John Crane, Inc. 316 F.Supp.2d 603, 610 (N.D. Ohio, 2004); upheld by the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, 424 F.3d 488 (6th Cir. 2005); Shelhamer v. Crane, 58 A.3d 767, 770 (Pa.Super. 2012)
- Briefed and argued seminal cases at the appellate level establishing significant legal precedent – Bartel v. John Crane, Inc. 316 F.Supp.2d 603, 610 (N.D. Ohio, 2004), aff’d, Lindstrom v. A-C Product Liability Trust, 424 F.3d 488 (6th Cir. 2005), Barone v. GATX Corp., 167 Ohio App.3d 744 (11th Dist. 2006)and Werts
- Numerous defense verdicts in asbestos, benzene and product liability cases
- Major successes in commercial, contract and construction trials and arbitrations
- Member, Defense Research Institute
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Harris Martin Asbestos Litigation Conference on Friction Products, May 2005
- Authored the chapter on Product Liability Law in the United States in the International Personal Injury Sourcebook. Campbell, Dennis, ed. London: Sweet & Maxwell: 1996.
- Lecturer, “Economic Loss and Emotional Damages Experts,” Lohrman Educational Services
- Several presentations regarding expert discovery, evidence and trial preparation
Steve received his BA in Political Science from Wittenberg University in 1975 and his JD from the Georgetown University Law Center in 1978.