Suzanne counsels clients in a wide array of environmental and energy law matters, including transactional, regulatory and compliance issues. She is particularly experienced in Brownfield and Underground Storage Tank matters. Suzanne is also a litigator with a wide range of experience.
- Statutory and Regulatory Practice
- Real Estate Transactions
- Contaminated Property and Brownfields Redevelopment
- Oil and Gas Leases
- Advanced and Renewable Energy
- Environmental Enforcement
- Underground Storage Tanks
Suzanne is admitted to practice in the State of Ohio and the United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio and the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE & FOCUS
Suzanne’s energy practice encompasses all aspects of advanced and renewable energy, as well as oil and gas leases worth hundreds of millions of dollars. She assists clients with negotiating leases and obtaining permits, licenses, siting authorizations and other regulatory approvals from federal, state and local agencies for proposed energy projects. Suzanne’s work crafting and negotiating leases across the energy spectrum in Ohio is unparalleled.
Suzanne counsels clients in a wide array of environmental law matters, including regulatory and compliance issues. She has also represented clients in cleanup of contaminated sites, including negotiation of orders and consent decrees with regulatory agencies and has extensive experience with the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and the Ohio Voluntary Action Program.
- Environmental counseling regarding issues affecting real estate development and transactions
- Advise on PCB and lead-based paint compliance under TSCA
- Represent clients in cleanup of contaminated sites, including negotiation of orders and consent decrees with regulatory agencies
- Assist landowners, developers, lenders and Fortune 500 companies to obtain regulatory closure (No Further Action letters) for sites with petroleum contamination from USTs
- Coordinate environmental issues associated with a plant closing, including document retention, UST removal, remediation oversight and permit termination
- Represent several companies in Ohio Petroleum Underground Storage Tank Release Compensation Board coverage disputes
- Defense of asbestos claims against a gasket manufacturer
- Commercial Real Estate Women of Columbus, Inc.
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee, Chair 2013-2015
- Columbus Metropolitan Club, Member since 2008
- Ohio Women Lawyers Association
- Columbus Council on World Affairs
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County
- Columbus NAIOP Member
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Oil & Gas Development: Managing Risks and Seizing Opportunities,” Ohio Water Law and Community Opportunities for Innovative Water System Management, presented by Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District, Canton, October 12, 2016
- “Oil & Gas Development: Managing Risks and Seizing Opportunities,” Ohio Water Law and Community Opportunities for Innovative Water System Management, presented by Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District, New Philadelphia, March 22, 2016
- “Responsible Oil and Gas Development: Putting Green in Your Pocket and Keeping the Environment Green,” Huntington Bank, May 2013
- “Technical and Legal Issues Regarding Oil and Gas Development,” Ohio Federation of Soil and Water Conservation Districts Annual Meeting, February 27, 2012
- “Oil and Gas Groundwater Issues,” Ohio Water Laws and Regulations, HalfMoon LLC Seminar, November 2011
- Presented at the November 2006 NBI “Advanced Issues in Real Estate” seminar
- “Will You Marry Me? Wind Energy Development in Ohio,” co-author with David Nash, GEO News Wind Energy Edition, June 2009
- “Underground Storage Tanks: Property Owners, Potential Purchasers Need to Understand Compliance Regulations” Properties Magazine, October 2007
ACHIEVEMENTS & HONORS
- Columbus CEO 2016 Top Lawyers in Energy and Utilities
- Columbus Business First “Who to Watch in Energy” 2014
- Nationally recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for Environmental Law (since 2011) and Environmental Litigation (since 2011)
- Named by Chambers & Partner as a leading practitioner in Environmental Law in Ohio, 2012-2013
- Named a “Rising Star” of Environmental Law by Law & Politics, 2005-2008
Suzanne received a BS in Biology from John Carroll University and her JD, cum laude, from Cleveland Marshall College of Law.