Municipal and Local Government Experience
From wind turbines to carbon emission, from permitting to compliance counseling, from brownfields to sewers to stormwater and everything in between, our attorneys provide experienced and focused legal representation. The attorneys at MD are well-versed in the broad spectrum of compliance and remediation issues that confront area governments.
In addition to serving a variety of manufacturers, corporations and property owners, MD has a wealth of experience serving area governments, including large cities, small towns, counties, municipalities and port authorities. The firm represents multiple local government and clients who deal with them, such as property owners, lending institutions and purchasers and sellers of real property with environmental contamination.
- Represent one of Ohio's largest cities in negotiations with the U.S. EPA over a Long Term Control Plan, including consideration of incorporating "green infrastructure" components as a control strategy. Utilizing green infrastructure could reduce stormwater runoff volumes and reduce peak flows by utilizing the natural retention and absorption capabilities of vegetation and soils. The multi-billion dollar program will work to control combined sewer overflows cost effectively and affordably.
- Serve as counsel to a county for the permitting and regulatory matters relating to a pilot research project harnessing wind power on Lake Erie, a first in the world project for a fresh water body
- Develop innovative wind power zoning ordinance for a Northeast Ohio suburb
- Provide counseling for a city regarding lakefront redevelopment plans and Great Lakes public trust issues.
- Negotiate a multi-million dollar Long Term Control Plan for a Northeast Ohio suburb to control combined sewer overflows. The plan would control discharges from the city's wastewater conveyance infrastructure that are caused by precipitation events such as rainfall or heavy snowmelt.
- Represent a County Board of Health in the denial of a solid waste license, in the 10th District Court of Appeals. The Appellee withdrew the appeal before a decision was handed down.
- Represent a city in an Ohio Department of Natural Resources hearing
- Negotiate a consent decree with the US EPA for a clean up on behalf of municipalities
For more information on our Municipal Experience, please contact Lou McMahon.
Back to Practice Areas